This article acts as the first log entry of my 22-day stay in Dublin City University for my PhD thesis and possible research and project collaboration with the host research unit – National Institute for Digital Learning (NIDL) of DCU.
The first interesting conversation happened between Dr James Brunton and me today and I would like to share with you below the meeting.
NIDL building, DCU
15:00 – 17:15, Feb 1, 2017
James presented two projects under his job: Student Success Toolbox, and a MOOC called Head Start Online 2017, hosted on DCU’s MOOC platform Academy (https://academy.moodle.net/).
STUDENT SUCCESS TOOLBOX (http://studentsuccess.ie/)
TOOL 1: student readiness tool
Instant feedback on each question you answer. institution and student perspective’s feedback under each category
Seven tabs: 6 thematic categories, and one summary category
In the summary category, a spider diagram is displayed to show strength and weakness
TOOL 2: Do I have enough time TOOL
To calculate the time that you spent on each life category and find out how much time you have for learning?
TOOL 3: who can I ask?
Family, employee, friends, classmates, university
TOOL 4: my computer skills
Very simple test
TOOL 5: my first assignment
It is like pre-learning orientation to prepare learners, for example,
stories of a certain student, how he finished his first assignment
TOOL 6: study tip for me
Tumblr tool, as a social tool, to provide study tips for their peers
This is to share, but not interactive, for example, cannot reply to
- Time allocation tool to help understand and manage learners’ time before starting learning process (Tool 2)
- Tumblr tool used in MOOC (Tool 6)
HEAD START ONLINE 2017 (https://academy.moodle.net/subject/education/head-start-online-2017)
- To be officially online next June
- Aim to be an orientation course for any adult learners who are planning to learn part-time or full-time, either online or in class.
- The course is built based on the Student Success Toolbox and utilizes several important tools included in that Toolbox.
- The motivations are both to help learners get more ready and prepared for upcoming learning, and to do some researches.
Some possible collaboration
- NIDL and eLab (www.elearninglab.org/en)
- Introduce Student Success Toolbox to USI and build something similar like Head Start Online 2017 to help new learners to get ready for upcoming study life.
- Introduce SST to USI’s MOOCs, starting from eTourism MOOC, for example, to provide the learner some tools to self-evaluate the readiness to learn online and prepare better before going on board to official learning experience.
Some useful links:
- STUDENT SUCCESS TOOLBOX (http://studentsuccess.ie/)
- HEAD START ONLINE 2017 (https://academy.moodle.net/subject/education/head-start-online-2017)
- Academy (https://academy.moodle.net/)
- eLab (www.elearninglab.org/en/)